On 2/1/06, William Trenker <wtrenker@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, if I add the additional header:
>          ["Content-Type"] =  "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
> then I get the output "a = 1" indicating the server has now seen the POST body.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is here, as this seems correct to
me. Without the content-type specified, the web server (and therefore
PHP script) has no way to interpret the data you are sending in the
POST body, and its safest option is to simply ignore it entirely. It
is perfectly legal HTTP to send data in a POST body that is not
x-www-form-urlencoded, so this header is required if you expect it to
be interpreted as form data in label=value pairs.

I think the most likely source of confusion is that the PHP object is
calling itself $_POST, though what it really seems to be doing is
parsing form encoded post data, and does not handle arbitrary post
data. Of course, I know next to nothing about PHP :)

- Keith