> What about:
>
> .PHONY: $(PLATS) clean test install local none echo pecho lecho newer
>
> Not sure how portable this is.

Yes, I know about .PHONY but I'm not betting on it being portable.
The solution I've found is this:

test:	dummy

install: dummy

# make may get confused with test/ and INSTALL in a case-insensitive OS
dummy:

Unless you have a file called "dummy", it should work...

I still don't know how to make sure that Lua has been built before you can
run make test or make install, but at least now "make test" without having
built Lua will give an error. Ditto for "make install".
--lhf