Hi,

At Framework Studios 'engine code' and 'game code' is seperated like that.
The "Framework Engine" itself is written with C++, all game- or application
code is Lua.

For example, check out http://www.fastlanepinball.com/ , all game-specific
code for it is in Lua. All our products (not all games) are running on the
exact same engine (same executable) without any product-specific
modifications. It works like a charm!

When actually porting to a different platform however, it is not just the
engine code that needs to move. For example HLSL shaders might need some
rewriting when moving from DirectX to maybe OpenGL. When going to a platform
like PSP usually a lot of the art assets also need to be touched and
platform-specific stuff like networking usually needs to be redone. So, a
Lua game engine can make a big difference for porting products but it is not
all there is to it.

Anyway, Lua for game-development is great! Not just for portability but
because you can get things done much easier and faster (=cheaper) with Lua
than with C++. I would say C++ for the time-consuming and generic tasks, Lua
for game-specific coding.

    Best regards,

                Hugo