From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br on behalf of Dolan, Ryanne Thomas (UMR-Student)
Sent: Fri 12/30/2005 9:55 AM
To: Lua list
Subject: RE: running the Lua VM "in time slices"

No problem there.  I think you can just remove the initial lua_pcall in the C code and it should always work as expected.

It's funny, but I came up with this same solution last night before I fell asleep.  The idea is just to call lua_yield in a hook that runs after a while, and replace lua_pcall with lua_resume.

What's really cool is that you can write a Lua module to do this from Lua scripts.  You could even extend the coroutine library as follows:

f = function ()
    while counter < 100000 do
        counter = counter + 1
    end;
end;

t = coroutine.create (f);

while coroutine.resume_for_given_instructions (f, 100) do
    print ("coroutine t preempted!");
end;

This approach still uses coroutines but doesn't require explicit yields within each thread.  Instead, the currently running thread gets preempted by the hook.

The new resume_for_given_instructions function is easily written using only the Lua C API.  For this reason, I would suggest including it (with a better name) in the next release of the standard library.  It would simply register a hook which calls lua_yield and then call lua_resume.  It allows scripts that weren't written as coroutines (ie with yields) to be run as coroutines.  This would at least evaporate my disdain for the coroutine library.