The only troubles (challenges) I've found with callbacks come from asyncronic callbacks, which are called from threads other than the one Lua lives in. You might check this, first.

The case I have in mind was SDL music playback, where I needed to craft a simple inter-thread-message-passing queue to provide the callbacks to the Lua side.

-ak