> Am I right in assuming that any general purpose programming done in
> Lua needs working knowledge of building Lua in C?  And so if you can't
> make that commitment, you should choose another language?

Not at all. One of the main benefits of using Lua is not having to use
C. You only need to know C if you are going to write a new library that
interfaces with C. As long as you use available libraries (such as
WxLua) you do not need any knowledge of C.

However, if you really need some kinds of extra facilities (like new
widgets) or something that has no library available yet, then you must
work with C.

-- Roberto