Thomas Harning Jr. wrote:
I'd love this operator as well, though I can see where it might get
shot down (the side-effects issue).
It'd be great for shortening code. (same with --).
Besides the shortening, it becomes more concise in that you know its
being incremented, rather than being assigned to some operation
(though it is trivial mind-work).

Other operators that would be nice is -= and +=.
 No new opcodes would be necessary to implement either of these
(though perhaps there's optimizations to be made if there were
opcodes???)

Surely this makes the handling of + and - metamethods an absolute nightmare?

Other than that, it'd be really nice ;)

--
Lisa
http://www.thecommune.org.uk/~lisa/