I'm glad that this subject came up. I had never really understood
upvalue until reading this thread. Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyko Bantchev
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:14 AM

The term `non-local variable' is a bit longer but often used in other
languages for what an upvalue is in Lua: a variable which is neither
local to a function being considered, nor global, i.e. one that is local
in an outer context.  Moreover, this use of `non-local' is consistent
with `non-local exits' in other languages (and in a proposal of Rici
Lake some time ago in this list).