Philippe Lhoste wrote:
Try "rb" and "wb" as the 2-nd parameter to io.open().

Yes, that's that. I tested this code on a Unix-style file (the Lua manual) and since I ran it on Windows, I actually got a bigger file: LFs were transformed to CR+LFs.

Binary files were indeed truncated. Probably on first \0 found... Adding b is the way to go with binary files or if you want to preserve original EOL.

IIRC, ^Z was treated as an EOF marker on 'DOS text' files.

Regards,
--Adam