>   Is there a way to gsub() and get everythig in lua script except
>   string literals?

It'll be hard to do it with gsub because you'll need do lexical analysis,
as you have already noticed.

If you really want to make Lua case insensitive, I suggest you change
the lexer directly. It's really quite simple. Edit llex.c and look for
"identifier or reserved word". Right before the assigment to "ts",
change the string to lowercase: the buffer is at luaZ_buffer(ls->buff)
and it contains luaZ_bufflen(ls->buff) characters.

--lhf