Assuming windows
Depending on your windows version you might try:

local f = loadlib("mylib","mylib_open")

Both the form that you have used  and the one above work for me when
the dll is in the stock windows search path.

My bet is that the entry point name is wrong.

Try

>print(loadlib("mylib","mylib_open"))
at the lua prompt to see the error messages

David B.