> Whwn registering a library I believe it is necessary to lua_call the
> luaopen_ function (methinks so that LUA_ENVIRONINDEX works).
> Someone tell me if I am wrong.

It is not always *necessary*, but it is a good practice. luaopen_
functions have type lua_CFunction, and therefore may assume that
they are called following the Lua protocol.

> My question is when I wish to add some functions to an existing
> namespace do I also need to lua_call or can I simply call luaL_register
> against the existing table?

luaL_register does not have type lua_CFunction, so even if you wanted it
would be difficult to lua_call them :) It is for "internal" use.

-- Roberto