Thank you all for the great answers.  This will get me started.  I
particularly like Rici's ideas at the moment.

I did find that my problem isn't actually as straightforward as
ISO-8859-1 to HTML, since the text I am adding to the HTML page comes
from a DB. And it turns out that the DB will return whatever character
set the DB was configured to use.  Most common appears to be UTF-8,
but I haven't yet figured out how to ensure that strings returned from
SQL are a particular character set.  More reading on my part is
required.

I think I may end up only needing to "protect" <, >, and &; the
letters will get passed through and the charset of the HTML doc has to
be set properly.

Robby