On Saturday 24 September 2005 07:31, Glenn Maynard wrote:
[...]
> In some old OpenAL code, I found constructs like this nested fifteen (15)
> levels deep--apparently whoever wrote that code had never heard of break,
> continue or return.

I know someone who writes code like that. The reason, however, is to make it
easy to do cleanup:

a = create()
if a then
	b = create(a)
	if b then
		c = create(b)
		if c then
			d = create(c)
			if d then
				d:dosomething()
				d:destroy()
			end
			c:destroy()
		end
		b:destroy()
	end
	a:destroy()
end

I hate this, and tend to rewrite using gotos, but that's equally messy --- it
just avoids silly indentation levels. The only 'right' way I know of of doing
the above is to use exceptions --- which is very wordy, no matter what
language --- or to leverage the garbage collector, which we can't do in our
language.

These days when writing C++ I use smart pointer abuse to hide the
check-and-destroy statements. The resulting code isn't great for efficiency,
however.

I would *love* a continue statement in Lua --- I find myself wanting it
frequently. For that matter, I'd rather like goto, as well, but I probably
shouldn't admit that in public.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "...thus there might be a great reduction in
+- www.cowlark.com --+ --- UK pat. GB1426698