I wish to implement a binding system for my OS's object model.

The way I want this to work is to have a mechanism whereby I can wrap an
arbitrary native object to turn it into a Lua object. I can inspect the
native object to determine which interfaces it supports, and then generate
the bindings for its methods on-the fly.

The problem is figuring out how to do this efficiently. The naive way of doing
it is rather inefficient. If I have a native object that implements
interfaces A, B and C, each of which have 50 methods each, then importing
that object will generate a Lua table containing 150 entries. Importing
another object that implements interfaces B and C will cause a second table
to be generated containing 100 entries. While I can share the function
objects in the tables themselves, I'm still going to end up with big, bloaty
Lua tables representing my objects.

An alternative system is to have a seperate table that represents each
interface, and have the __index metatable entry for the object itself look up
each interface in turn. This would be nicely memory-efficient, because all
the object table needs to store is the list of supported interfaces, but will
require dropping into Lua code to look up every method call on the object,
which will be slow. (Rewriting the dispatcher in C would help but I'm still
not terribly happy.)

Can anyone suggest any other approaches I could look at?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "...it's not that well-designed GUI's are rare,
+- www.cowlark.com --+