Have a loook at this:
  http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/talks/novelties.pdf
-- Roberto

Thank you very much, very helpfull slides to gather the big picture.
Any timeframe set for finalizing this 5.1 or is it set as a moving target ?

I'm just asking myself if it might prove usefull to start working around the 'in-the-works' 5.1 versions right now or not. I'm new to Lua and I need some weeks to maybe 3 months (or so) to develop all what I need. If there is a high probability of Lua 5.1 to be declared stable for release within the next 3 months, maybe 4, I should better work based on current Lua 5.1. Else I just should go with 5.02 and consider benefiting from the extensions later.

--
Olivier Mascia