On 22-Aug-05, at 10:35 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:

Mike Pall wrote:

Hi,
Chris Marrin wrote:
I see in 5.1-work6 that you can now set environments not only on both C and Lua functions, but also on userdatas. But I don't see anywhere in the code where this environment is being used. What can you do with this environment? Does it get used when you make metamethod calls with this userdata? Or is it just there so it can be retrieved or something?

Thanks for the pointer. This brings up a question:

- I assume that luaopen_queue() is what gets implicitly called when you do the require "queue", right? If so, then it looks like it sets the environment for your test program to the environment for the queue, as evidenced by lua_replace(L, LUA_ENVIRONINDEX). Looking at the code for this, it gets the current function (which is the main lua program at this point?) and sets its environment to the passed table(which is the metatable you are constructing for queue). Doesn't that change the environment for the whole program?

Yeah, that threw me as well. However, the idea is that you don't just call luaopen_queue; in 5.1, you lua_call library open functions. So your code would probably have looked like:

lua_pushcfunction(L, luaopen_queue);
lua_call(L, 0, 0);

in which case the instance of the luaopen_queue function which is setfenv'd is promptly discarded.

It still seems a little odd to me but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Rici