On 12-Aug-05, at 2:05 PM, Diego Nehab wrote:

I didn't mean it would be hard to implement. I meant it might make the
Lua code that uses this functionality very hard to understand. This
could be a limitation of my not being used to non-local returns.  I
remember once not liking coroutines. :)

Any construct can be used to make code hard to understand :) (Coroutines are a good example.) But I personally find the use of stack-frame offsets like getfenv(4) -- or your proposed roe(4, ...) -- much harder to understand than well-chosen names. Trying to figure out what the fourth previous callframe was is a challenge.