On 3-Aug-05, at 6:31 PM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

But I find it odd to allow length to get redefined for tables and not for strings and there seemed to be a strong consensus for not redefining it for
strings. So, I was looking for a way to make it consistent.

It is consistent with allowing + to be defined for tables but not for numbers. I guess that's why I don't find it weird that # should be (re)definable for tables but not for strings.