	Perhaps I should give it a day before I ask for help: I have worked
this one out too... well, sort of.  The second problem was because
compat was not being auto-loaded, and that problem has the same source
as problem of the paths not being recognised.  Though I could see the
environmental variables in a tty when I invoked `set', when I used an
os.getenv() call in lua, the three I added for Lua Socket always
returned nil.  Others worked fine, but not those three.

	I have not worked out why, but for some reason the shell (ash) was not
exporting them to lua.  I have made it explicitly export LUA_INIT,
LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH, and now everything works as expected.

	-- Matthew