Hello,
I use a similar solution for sharing data, but instead of :
  lua_pushlightuserdata( L, &myUDMapKey );
  lua_gettable( L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX );
I use a metatable that I have create to insert c_pointer as key and fullUserData as value that gives something like:
  lua_getmetatable( L, "myKeyMap" );
  lua_pushlightuserdata(L, c_pointer);
  lua_gettable(L,-2)
  lua_remove(L,-2)

Is there a lot of overhead using a metatable instead of  the lua_registryindex table?
thanx
David

Mark Hamburg wrote:
Technically, this isn't safe. Amongst other things, if the userdata has been
collected, this call corrupts the Lua state.

That being said, I've written this code (though I later took it out).
Someone else also posted essentially the same thing a month or two ago. So,
it's clearly an issue that a lot of people encounter.

The safe way to do this is to maintain a weak table mapping the userdata
pointers as light userdata to the full userdata objects. Pushing then
becomes something like the following:

    lua_pushlightuserdata( L, &myUDMapKey );
    lua_gettable( L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX );
    lua_pushlightuserdata( L, theUserData );
    lua_gettable( L, -2 );
    lua_remove( L, -2 );

(I used a light userdata rather than an integer to key the registry because
it's easier to guarantee unique.)

Mark