> require"foo.bar" works as usual; but if "foo.bar" doesn't exist then try
> to require"foo" before failing.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Javier's proposal? It seems
pretty simple and feasible to me.

> I don't see a problem in always trying to load "a.meta" on require"a.b"
> (don't really like the name "core" for this).

But if you really want to stick to this solution, if possible, I'd like to
ask you to pick up some uncommon file name pattern. Instead of '?/meta'
something like '?/?' or '?/YouWontWantToNameAModuleLikeThis'. ;-)

Renato Maia.