> I guess there would be mileage in running out and writing a super
> simplistic free-list-allocator-thing of 32 byte blocks used for any
> lua allocs between 20 and 32 bytes...

Perhaps, but you'd have to instrument your application. Don't take
the numbers I posted as valid for every application; they were for a
do-nothing run. Also, the numbers did not show the history of allocations.
I mean, there's no point in doing custom allocation for the initialization
phase of your application; you should concentrate on its main phase.
--lhf