On 7/5/05, Klaus Ripke <paul-lua@malete.org> wrote:
> recently I saw "realtime for Java" mentioned.
> This is a joke, since java can not really control
> it's GC due to MT issues.
> But I guess Lua can.

The hard-realtime approaches to Java I've seen do some very
interesting things to maintain usability in the face of full GC not
being possible. Basically, you provide the VM with certain invariants
regarding the lifetime and accessibility of an object, and create
objects within pools, references between which are subject to very
restrictive semantics.

I don't think these same approaches would work well with Lua (or
perhaps I just don't want to see Lua uglified with them ;-).

Ben