Awesome! Thankyou very much. That solves it.
You are a star.

Incidentally, while testing this, it brought up a question - under
work6's new metatable functionality, should (from lua code)
setmetatable(thread,{}) work?
It doesn't appear to on my build. Explanation and possible patch as
follows:

Without your patch below, getmetatable(thread) crashes; with the fix it
returns nil on a newly created thread (as expected);

But setmetatable(thread,{}) asserts ("got table, expected thread") -
It appears that luaB_setmetatable does a check to make sure that the
object being set, is a table (which under work6 isn't necessary?) before
calling on to lua_setmetatable.

If I comment out the check (line 107 of lbaselib.c, luaL_checktype(L, 1,
LUA_TTABLE);), all seems to work as expected and the metatable is set
correctly.

Is this a correct fix, or have I misunderstood the problem?
Cheers
Alex