Dave Dodge wrote:
[...]
If you mean that the setlocale function is not part of ANSI C, I think
it's been included in the standard since C89.  However the only
defined locale names are "C" (the default) and "" (native
environment).  Other locale names would be implementation-defined.

And you really *don't* want anything locale-related when doing anything other than manipulating human-readable text! At my day job, I once wrote a disassembler generator in awk. Worked fine on some of our build machines and failed on others. It eventually turned out that the Debian machines had a default locale of "C" (ASCII sort order) and the Red Hat machines had a default locale of "en_GB" (case-insensitive sort order). Not fun...

--
David Given
dg@cowlark.com