I'm shifting my position. I no longer care about byte-order independent
code.

I would however like a parser that took Lua sources and built Lua-based
syntax trees out of them. Bytecode can then be a cache for obfuscated,
compressed syntax trees. Actually, just obfuscating the source and ZIP
compressing it might be sufficient.

That being said, I could easily see where someone passing a lot of numeric
data around in Lua might want cross-endian support even if it doesn't handle
all of the other issues like word size. That just doesn't happen to be my
need.

Mark