On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 04:33:58PM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> We're thinking of dropping the support for handling non-native byteorder
> when loading precompiled chunks. Would this be a disaster to you?

It would be helpful if the bits that can be different between chunks
compiled on different platforms could be configured at compile time.  I
had a related problem: LUA_NUMBER was 4 bytes on the target platform and
8 bytes on the build platform, and I had to hack around it by hand.  It
seems like compiling chunks on a different platform than running it is
an expected configuration; being able to change these things without
having to hack up a custom executable would save a lot of headaches.

Not to be able to run the result, of course; just to have luac adjust
the output data to the needed format, at least for common differences
like endianness and size of floats.

--
Glenn Maynard