My point exactly (that no external yet-another library should be required).

The goal for me would be UTF-8 only, boldly ignoring the issues with existing data in other encodings. For that, a couple of patching points within Lua will be required, already started the work. :)

ps. the comments about normalization etc. were very welcome, gives me focus on what _not_ to touch. thanks.

-ak