On 27-Apr-05, at 10:05 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

Peephole-optimisation might be a goer -- I assume there would be some
level of redundancy in the generated byte-code.  But this is really
something that could be applied to the lua.lib portion anyway I'd assume -- but considering it was stripped from lua5 because it was becoming to difficult to maintain?

Actually, all optimizations done by luac in 4.0 are done by the parser in 5.0.
--lhf

The one little optimization which might make a fun project for someone is the common idiom:

  a and b or c

where b is a constant.

Currently, the compiler generates a redundant check on b (redundant if b is constant, anyway).

Of course an actual ternary operator could be optimised even better, since the intent was probably a ? b : c in the first place. But I'm not advocating that.