Given the complexity of using cpcall, I tend to avoid it and rely on other
options for dealing with errors when invoking Lua. But I know that cpcall is
how I'm supposed to be doing things if I want to make any assumptions about
the state of Lua stack after execution.

So, the theoretical problem with the RVM version of cpcall is that while the
standard distribution version won't throw, the RVM version can if something
fails before getting to pcall.

As for light C functions, the exercise I've been meaning to try was seeing
how much complexity they add. They would also be of use to minimal footprint
uses of Lua. Since my use isn't one of those, this experiment hasn't been a
particularly high priority. If there were implemented, however, they should
look identical from the Lua side. They would only be different on the C
side.

Mark