Good question, they're so obvious :D

Having "lua/5.1" in LUA_LDIR means any system scripts will remain valid only until the user upgrades to a new X.X Lua version. Say, you have Lua 5.1, Lumikki and Hamster installed. You "apt-get upgrade", bringing Lua to 5.2. Poof, the scripts won't be found.

While I understand this from the 'purity' perspective (no backwards compatibility guaranteed), it will become a pain.

What if Lumikki (in the package declaration) guarantees it can be used with Lua >=5.0.2, <=5.2. This can be done. Where should it put the files now? :)

I'd recommend adding "/share/lua/" to the path, after the specific version. This way, such inter-version scripts could live in peace, and not need to be tossed around if the engine version (slightly) changes.

-ak