Hi

put another way, IMHO it is quite appropriate to access a stringbuffer
(using whatever implementation) via an I/O style API rather than
in a string-like fashion.
E.g. a substr is no more convenient than a pread (seek+read).

OTOH for a file/streams API it is next to mandatory to provide
something like a "StringBufferStream",
and using e.g. printf/scanf on such devices is very nice.
We are currently developing such an approach to be used
with our Selene database: functions like reading a record
take an outputstream parameter, which may be a stringbuffer
(say, rope) to finally get the data into lua land,
or e.g. an I/O buffer on a client socket.

And BTW, PA: persistent connections require message boundaries,
and content-length is a rather simple thus robust approach on this,
while chunked encoding is *very* rarely actually needed in practice
and implementations are more often broken than not.

cheers