> Even so --and this applies to official Lua makefiles, too-- imho it
> would be less cumbersome for the ones using non-gnu makes, to
> remove/bypass such conditionals.

On the contrary. I think that using the plainest makefiles forces us to
write the simplest build instructions. Plain makefiles give a chance
to those who want or need to change the makefiles. GNU Makefiles are
powerful (too powerful?) and this may make them hard to read.

On the other hand, we may be stretching a point here. Conditionals and
specially error messages would be great to have in Makefiles -- that
was one reason we moved to luaconf.h in 5.1 -- but we're not ready to
give up plain makefiles yet.
--lhf