sohyl siddiqui wrote:
> But I had
read on this list that in lua string comparisons are very cheap, since actually it is just a pointer comparison.
Just wanted to confirm this.

Yes...

I am not very keen on changing the string comparison to integer comparisons since that will mean a lot of work for me that I do not have time for atleast for now. so what do you ppl suggest, should I change or if the performance hit of string comparisons is not that much I could just leave it for another time ?

It's essential to profile before embarking on optimisations, rather
than stabbing in the dark.  Check out the Lua wiki for pointers to
a couple of Lua-side code profilers.  I can say quite confidently
right now, though, that 'optimizing' your string comparisons is
likely to be a waste of time.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   -   adam@gimp.org