Okay, I included lua.hpp (with 5.1) and got rid of everything except
those last two errors:

% make
g++ -g -Wall -pedantic -L/usr/local/lib -framework Cocoa -o test
main.o qux.o tolua_test.o -ltolua++ -llua -llualib
ld: Undefined symbols:
_lua_newtable
_lua_setgcthreshold
make: *** [test] Error 1

I did
`grep _lua_setgcthreshold *` and
`nm *.a | grep _lua_setgc`
in the src directory of the 5.1 distribution and turned up nothing.
Odd. These functions don't look particularly useful to me (says the
programmer who has no idea what they do); I'm open to suggestions on
dodging this problem so I can get my program compiled and running. I'm
also open to suggestions on proper ways to deal with this, of coure.

-Chris