On 14-Mar-05, at 2:06 PM, PA wrote:
local zlib = require( "zlib" )
local aCompressedContent = zlib.compress( aContent )

http://dev.alt.textdrive.com/file/LW/LWResponse.lua

However, when a browser tries to decode such response, I get the following exception:

"gzip stream does not have a gzip header"

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to provide additional parameters to zlib.compress()?

You need to format the stream by sending a gzip header prior to the compressed content. (You will also need to provide a trailer containing a CRC.) It's annoying, isn't it? And really badly documented. Most of the implementations I've seen are cargo culted from other implementations.

You might find this page a useful place to start. It's not the best, but I only googled for three minutes: http://www.cherrypy.org/wiki/NotesOnTicket59