On Feb 07, 2005, at 14:49, Steve Donovan wrote:

What about a pure Lua solution to full text search?

Yes, that would be cool. But how?

It could be of comparable performance, given
the i/o overheads.

Ok. What about the sheer scope of a search? Not everything can/should fit in memory.

Tricky bit would be optimizing the 'chunk' size
for reading files - although obviously small files
can be read in as one chunk.

Right now, I would like to search small pieces of text. But there could be a bunch of them in a bunch of different files.

That said, I would love to see a small full search text library in pure Lua :)

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/