I think Andy's original idea is a good one, for the reasons he listed.

2.2.2005 kello 00:09, skaller kirjoitti:

 On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 23:23, Andy Stark wrote:
I have had an idea for a small and simple addition to Lua that I thought I would share with the list. I think Lua's error messages should each have a unique identifying number that is printed out along with the message. The
messages should also be listed in the Lua manual in numerical order of
their ID numbers.

- I think the Lua manual or man page says somewhere that "error messages
are self explanatory".

Hehe. Actually, the semantics of a programming language
are often best understood in terms of what is not allowed,
certainly I learned a lot of PL/1 by reading the manual
of errors. So this is probably a good idea to reinforce
the semantic specification. In fact I should do this
for my own language translator.

BTW: the 'translate to French' idea is nice but
often things are harder because messages aren't
just a phrase, but a polymorphic phrase -- one
with holes that get filled in. (EG "xxx is undefined
in function yyy"). Different languages might order
the insertions differently due to grammar differences :(

snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia