On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 02:15, Mark Hamburg wrote:
> on 1/30/05 5:19 AM, skaller at skaller@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>
> > This would slow down the parsing a bit but I doubt
> > this is a problem.
>
> For code, probably not. After all, one can pre-compile to byte-codes. For
> data files stored as Lua, this could be an issue.

Still much faster than XML parsers .. :)

However this can probably be avoided with a fast fallback
to the existing C code (I mean, if you don't use the
extensibility there is only a small overhead).

In particular for typical 'data' there would be a
lot of numbers and strings, and loading them would
probably be dominated by floating point conversion,
string registration, and lexing..

so it might not be too bad, and can probably
be avoided for data files if the 'check for
extensions' is done right.

I had a much deeper look at the Lua parser/lexer,
and it can probably all be rewritten to be
much more table driven. I was looking at 5.0.2 though.

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia