On Jan 30, 2005, at 16:08, Mark Hamburg wrote:

In other words, I'm trying to make sense of Lua in my own terms. It's a
learning experience first and foremost. When confronted with the
'unknown' (1) (2), I naturally tend to fail back to what I know (3).

This is fine as an approach. Lots of people do it. What one needs to
remember is that having contorted the language to view it in terms of (3), don't then reach the conclusion that the language is necessarily contorted,
inefficient, or whatever.

I'm not looking to reach any "conclusion" one way of another.

Just trying to keep up with some New Year resolutions:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/loty/

Your LUObject implementation, for example, has a relatively high memory
overhead. Don't allow that to color your thinking about Lua's intrinsic
overhead.

Don't worry, I usually don't blame any given language for my own "contorted, inefficient, or whatever" concoctions :)

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/