The caveat is that those are essentially string-to-string mappings and the
databases sometimes impose harsh limits on string sizes. If you keep those
limitations in mind and are prepared to pack and unpack strings, you can
make them reasonably transparent for basic table access.

You can get around the size limitations either by playing encoding games in
the keys or by kicking to separate files above some threshold. This can be
kept transparent to the client.

If you are already using SQLite, I don't know how the performance of the
simpler databases compares.

Mark