On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 22:04, duck wrote:
> > > 	Also, Lua 5.1 work 4 contains an oficial implementation of
> > > the "packaging proposal" :-)
> >
> > I have that, but not being familiar with Lua I can't pick
> > the difference from the old system just by examining the code.
>
> Roberto's email from mid-ish September 2004 sort of lays it out.

Yes, I read it, it's easy to understand, it looks good,
it looks similar to Python, which is good.

The problem left open seems to be how to install
C extensions, and packages that need them.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't seem to be addressed,
it seems some packages do need that, and it seems
much harder to do compared with, say Python.

I would guess it is (a) more difficult than for Python
since Lua is smaller with less built-in protocol support,
and (b) more essential as well, for just the same reason.

I guess things will get even more difficult in 5.1
because of the write barrier, however, probably not
as bad as managing ref-counting in Python (which is
a nightmare ..)

voice: 061-2-9660-0850,
snail: PO BOX 401 Glebe NSW 2037 Australia