> I've done a lot of code in Pascal over the years, and I definitely
> over-used 'with'.  If you get into the habit of nesting 'with',
> eventually most people will have no clue as to what
> scope a variable reference belongs to.

IIRC, Pascal allowed you to have quite complex expressions as the operand
of a "with"...access to local variables several frames up the stack,
pointer dereferences, and the like. So it served to make long program
lines shorter (at the expense of clarity and the risk of ambiguity) and
to help the compiler to produce quicker code (something which modern
compilers for Pascaloid languages probably handle all by themselves these
days).

Or am I missing something?