> Of course, if authors would just update their TeX installations, they'd
> get shiny new postscript versions of the CMR fonts...

Of course we have up-to-date TeX installations. What we don't have is the
time and energy to regenerate old documents [1]. Sorry about that.

Newer documents (like the Lua tutorial for WJogos 2004) are already in PDF.
--lhf

[1] I've heard of tools that replace Type 3 fonts by Type 1 in PS files
created by dvips, but these seem to require that they were created with
a recent version of dvips, so what's the point!