I think this distinction; what you do with an object, what you do with a class/all object/whatever is important to be visible.

Lua (C code) passes on the 'lua' pointer even to functions that do absolutely nothing with it ('lua_type()' was one, I think). This, imho, is a bad choice, although it's not a major pain, either. No dummy parameters should be used, they're just as bad as globals. :)

-ak