Hi PA,
buddy, you have got me wrong. What the crux i was suggesting was not
making the language biggie like java. Also i was not suggesting
ONLYadding just a few syntactic sugars.
   Like io has gone for alpha release of
Persistence,(http://www.iolanguage.com/blog/blog.cgi?beforeId=37)
(http://www.prevayler.org/wiki.jsp?topic=TransparentPersistence.)
     Again i am not suggesting implementing the persistence in lua. I
just want to say that whether we all can have a fair discussion on now
what things core vm should aim for. This may or may not be syntactic
sugar. This may or may not be language feature. This may or may not be
vm architecture itself (like alex corrected me about discussion on
gc). I just wanted to discuss the next big roadahead for lua core. Is
it religiously wrong to do so? Will not be a healthy open discussion
atleast?
bye :-)
Ashish Ranjan, India