Having never written a single line of Lua code I briefly took a look at the
interpreter source to see if it's possible to add malloc()/free() hooks. It
doesn't seem like the functionality is there, though maybe not too difficult
to add. Did I miss anything?

What I'm looking for is the ability to allocate a Lua state from my own
memory arena and disable Lua's garbage collection so that I can free the
entire Lua execution context in one go. Each Lua context will be running a
handful of extremely short scripts per instantiation. My priority is
extremely fast startup and shutdown.

Lua Newbie,

Bill