Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
That is strange, but not too strange. With the previous GC, mem figures
would grow from a minimum (just after a collection) to twice that
minimum, when a new collection was triggered. With an incremental
collector, we do not have that flutuation. But it seems that the maximum
memory used by both collectors would be more or less the same.

I agree that it sounds like it should be,to be.

Attached is a patch which tunes the new default GC tuneables
in accordance with my experiments in perf/peakmem tradeoff.

Do you have any explanation why those numbers are better?

The patch just implements the constants from my tunings with
the last few 5.1works which I've sent the speed/mem numbers
to this list for in the past.  The constants reflect the
speed/mem sweet-spot which was reasonably visible (though not
utterly conspicuous) in those results, then I gave them another
spin with my apps to check that they were still a similar
improvement over 5.1w4 (which they were).  There's no great
logic to the numbers, just a lot of repeated testing with
different tuning.

Again the tuning carries the warning that what's a good tuning
for me might not be a good tuning for others, which is why it's
interesting to hear people try other benchmarks with it.

Regards,
--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"... so make sure your illness is early in the financial year."