Hmm, so it looks like the patch is somewhere between
'a bit' and 'very much' better than stock 5.1w4 in
terms of memory usage (and about 4% slower?), but either
flavour of 5.1w4 still eats massively more memory than
5.0 in the hungriest cases.  (That's my observation in
my app too.)

I wonder, could the test case be sprinkled liberally with
'full' GCs (perhaps shortly before each memory= printout)?
I found that memory usage drops a lot when I manually
do full GCs rather than let the incremental GC try to pick
things up.  Maybe we'd see the same here...

Thanks,
--Adam